Its that time of year again....The time when everyone realizes that it's mid December and last year's New Year's resolutions have gone by the way side. I admit mine did. This year I've decided that I'm going to start my resolutions early. That sounds like dedication does it not? I won't lie; I'm one of the worst resolution breakers I know. In fact, generally I don't even make them. I can't break them if I don't make them; thereby I don't feel like a failure come December 31st. Also, I'm off work for the week between Christmas and New Years, so why not get a head start?
This year my big goal is to work on building a healthier me. After 35 years I know I will never be skinny, it's just not in my genetic code. What is in my genetic code is heart and lung disease, as well as diabetes. So what I want is a leaner, meaner body. I have amazing blood pressure for someone, quote "my size"; it's completely normal which amazes and puzzles my doctors. My cholesterol has steadily been creeping up over the years, but is still good. It's just my weight that kicks my ass.
About ten years ago I went on this big "diet" kick to make myself skinny. I'm ashamed to say I tried the fads...grapefruit, Atkins (that one nearly killed me literally), Weight Watchers (gained weight on that one). Through it all I learned that "diets" don't work. Yes I lost weight, I went from a size 24 to a 12 BUT once I stopped eating the diet I steadily gained it back, thankfully not all of it but way more than I ever wanted to see again. Two positive things that I did learn from that time period:
A)Food diaries are a good thing.
B)I have to limit my carbs.
Stop right there. I can hear people screaming now. I know my body needs carbs (Atkins fiasco), they are fuel the body. BUT I have to carefully choose my carbs. I call them "natural carbs" and "processed carbs". More veggies and fruit; less bread, pasta, and sugar.
My plan for the healthier me is to:
1) Add one additional exercise at least 4 days a week. I already walk 3-5 miles every day but need to add to it. Maybe some yoga or free weights. Any suggestions? And no, I'm not joining a gym so pick something else.
2) Cook more, eat out less. Not sure how this is going to pan out at work. Stupid rules. We can't use the fridges and have no way to heat food...I hate cold lunches. I love to cook and over the last year I haven't taken the time to do it. I am worth the time!
3) Go back to logging everything I eat or drink.
I also think I'll post some info here on the blog throughout the year. Maybe you all can help keep me motivated into and through 2012!
My mum and I have both been doing the 'new and improved' Atkins... which involves loads of fruit and veg, and less everything else you mentioned. My mum is big... I don't know sizes in the US compared to UK, but she is a UK size 28... she started a year ago and has lost 2 nearly 3 dress sizes. I've also lost weight (I don't stick to it religiously LOL) I would definitely recommend doing that diet, although 'diet' is the wrong word choice. It's more a life style change isn't it? Because it doesn't really prohibit you from enjoying food and eating out is still possible.
ReplyDeleteAs for the exercise... hmmm... I'm not sure about that. Walking is the key for me... I do have the Wii fit, which I have neglected... but that has lots of yoga stuff and fun exercises on it. If you don't have that... I would suggest a yoga class, especially if you want the leaner, meaner body. It's not 'extreme' weight loss and will make you feel healthier...
Anyway that's my two-penny's worth LOL
Good Luck... I'm giving up smoking so that should be fun!!!
Not that I don't believe you, but seriously I nearly died the time I did Atkins. My blood sugar flatlined and I collapsed in my shower trying to get to the kitchen to get something to bring it up. Then I collapsed on top of my space heater after getting out of the shower.
ReplyDeleteLean meats and veggies for me and whatever fruit might be in season.
I don't have a Wii. I may try a yoga DVD...there are very few classes like that where I live and none during non work hours.
Good luck w/ the smoking!
Yoga and free weights are great additions to your fitness routine. Check out the Runners World website for some good strength routines.
ReplyDeleteI would not be able to do Atkins, I'm do much of a fruit eater.
ReplyDeleteI'm making some huge changes for my health this year as well. As you know John and I are both going to quit drinking, he is also going to quit smoking. We are going to start walking/running together and he's going to the gym we have at the clubhouse. I have a yoga room setup and will be trying to learn that without breaking my neck.