Saturday, December 3, 2011

So the New Year's resolution that I made last December 31st was to hike at least once a month.  At the time it didn't sound that hard, after all winter, spring, and fall are my favorite seasons to be outside.  Also, the resolution would make sure I didn't completely hibernate during the hot humid summer months.  Needless to say this was a resolution I did not keep, though I did force myself in to the woody sauna that is Central Kentucky during August.  

Last night when I went to bed I was on the fence about hiking today.  Where would I go?  When should I wake up?  I finally decided that I was going to hike the Eagle Falls trail at Cumberland Falls State Park.
I've been out to the main falls many times and have wanted to take the side trail out to view Eagle as well as different perspective of the big falls.  For some reason my alarm went off at 5:00 a.m. And of course I promptly  turned it off, rolled over, and went back to sleep.  Somewhere around 9:30 a leaf moved outside and my dog thought there were intruders trying to break in.  Finally out of bed I realized that it was a little late to go ahead with my plans. It takes almost 2 hours from my house to get to the state park and by the time I got there it would be after noon.  In the summer, that wouldn't be an issue...the sun is out until well past 8:00.  But here, with the start of winter just days away, the sun would start setting much earlier.  I'm a "snail" hiker and stopping to gawk and take pictures is a must. I didn't want to rush so what to do? I was ready to call it a day before my day even started.  Finally I decided on a "compromise". No, I didn't have time to make the drive but there was plenty of time to head over to Raven Run.

Raven Run has been my "go to" spot since my college days.  In some ways its become boring.  I know it like the back of my hand.  If nothing else, heading out would get me in the woods, maybe show some rock formations that I haven't been able to photograph when the foliage is thick.  In all honesty, I wasn't expecting a lot from the hike today, thinking of it almost like a chore. Turns out it was one of "those" days on the trail.  No leaves, no animals, no noise, and almost completely un-peopled.  I think I have the UK-UNC basketball game that was being played at the same time to thank for that, but I never look a gift horse in the mouth.

Thanks to the time of year I was able to see some unusual flora:

And some anomalies:
But the real reason I had wanted to go to the fall was to see water...which thanks to the recent torrential rains we've had:

There is nothing more centering or soothing to me than the sound created by a waterfall.  All in all it was a fantastic day.  I'm kinda glad I slept in. I think I have a new hashtag for twitter:

#Youknowitsagreatdaywhen

1 comment: