Sunday, February 19, 2012

It's mid February again, the one time of year that I absolutely hate-other than those dog days of summer when the world is one big sauna you can't get out of.  There are several reasons I feel this way and very little I can do to change things.  The first is that my little sister's birthday falls at the beginning of February.  Many of you know that she was killed back in '96 in a car wreck and it's something I've never fully gotten over.

A week later you have that lovely holiday *roll eyes everyone* Valentine's Day.  Maybe if I had a sweetheart to send me flowers or chocolates I wouldn't hate it so much.  Hell, its not even getting those things on February 14th that bugs the crap out of me because I'm really not that materialistic.  Its the fact that there isn't someone special to spend my time with.

The big kicker for me is that I am now less than a week away from turning 36 and as I pull out my life goals list that I started oh, so many years ago, NOTHING has been accomplished.  None of the travel, personal goals, nothing.  And I feel like my life has been one big boring screw up.

As the new year begins and we creep closer to April, I get really down on myself.  One of my biggest dreams is to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail.  I want to thru-hike it as opposed to section hiking because I want to take that once in a lifetime opportunity to watch mother nature break from her sleep and unfurl herself in all her glory and fury.

Georgia to Maine: 2,200 miles
Between now and April I really get the blues about this dream that is slipping away.  Most north bound hikers start between mid March and early April.  Technically the trail is 'open' year round but during the winter certain sections get shut down because of the weather and the Northern terminus Mt. Katahdin closes down on October 15th (or earlier if the weather gets bad).

You may be saying 'What is stopping you from doing this and what can you do to change it?"  Believe me, I ask myself the same questions regularly to see if my answers change.  My first answer is $$$.  I have to save the funds to pay for the trek as well as $$$ to live on once the trip is over, 'cause lets face it, how many employers are going to say 'Suuuure!  Take 6+ months off for a vacation!' and still have a job to come back to?  Yes there are a few, but I've never worked for any of them.   By the end of 2013 I will be completely debt free (WOW!  I know!). That will free up $$$ to go into the dream fund.  And most of my big ticket equipment has been purchased over the years so all that's left is personal items and perishables.

The biggest issue holding me back mentally is my parents.  I gave up a dream job to be closer to them because of their declining health.  I really don't expect my mother to live another 10 years and if she does it will really shock me.  My dad's health has leveled off and it seems to be just the usual 'growing older' issues he is facing, his heart and diabetes are well under control at present.  I'm the only child they now have and our extended family can't be relied upon to help which makes me feel extremely guilty to take off into the wilderness for a walkabout. 

So for now I am focusing on getting my body in better shape, my finances in order so that when I am able to (Dear God let it be before I'm retired!) then this picture:
1st Blaze on the AT

And this picture:


Joel and Courtney 10/1/09




Will be ME and not my friends! 'Cause let me tell you, it really sent me reeling towards depression when they set out to accomplish MY life goal.  (If you care to read the trail journal they kept during  their trip here's the link:  http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=266291

10 comments:

  1. That is an amazing goal to have! I really hope you are able to do this! I know I will be extremely jealous when you do complete this!!

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can join Becka, Mary, and I on part of the trail! LOL

      Delete
  2. I here you about feeling like you've done nothing. I felt that way for a long time and it took me years to get to a place where I can accomplish even a small portion of the things I wanted in life. If you do head up the trail, you will pass very near me, maybe I'll hike that part with you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And maybe I'll call you up begging for a real meal after months of trail food! LOL And after dinner and shower THEN you can hit the trail with me!

      Delete
  3. It sounds like February really is a tough month for you - that sucks.

    As to the AT goal, I think it sounds amazing and I'm convinced that if you want it bad enough, it will happen someday. I wish I could join you (at least for a little part of it)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm most looking forward to hitting the New England states in the peak of autumn colors!

      Delete
  4. Wow, I'd love to hike the Appalachian Trail! You've been doing a lot of planning and serious thinking considering the logistics (time involved, expenses including not working for awhile, etc.). You will eventually achieve this goal, I just know it!

    Even though I'm married now, Valentine's Day still brings back a lot of dismal memories. I remember the popular girls in high school getting the annual rose delivery while the rest of us (me and my close friends) sat around disapointed. Usually hoping for the lone rose from some "secret admirer" that never materialized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a massive undertaking, planning out meals for 6 months, getting resupply boxes planned packed and ready to send out. Squaring away everything...You don't do this on the spur of the moment (well, maybe some people do...). I saw a lot of what J&C did when they were prepping for their trip.

      Delete
  5. I know what you mean about the giving up things you always wanted for parents health. I have done A LOT of that over the years myself, but only for my mum. So when you wrote that... I get it.

    But never, ever give up on your dreams, they are, lets face it, the only thing that keeps us going at times. I hate Valentines Day too... 4 years by myself, probably doesn't sound a long time, but it certainly doesn't get easier over the years...

    I have faith in you, I'm sure that you will see this dream through, even if it isn't as soon as you'd like... you WILL get there, because I know you have the drive to do it!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just hoping the body doesn't wear out first!

      Delete