Sunday, January 29, 2012

"Feeding the Beast" or "Anarchy!"

Those of you who follow me on Twitter have surely seen the awesome food that my school expects our children to eat.  As their teacher, I am expected to sit down and eat with my children, whatever they are eating. I have several BIG problems with this.  The first:
That by the way you are looking at turkey with dressing, mixed greens (no seasoning at all), sweet potatoes (again no seasoning), and wheat bread.   In theory this should be a tasty, healthy mean.  Let me assure you it is not.  Being from the South those greens need SOMETHING!  Doesn't have to be ham hocks...but why can't we have some vinegar to go with them?  It comes out like boiled grass. The sweet potatoes could have some cinnamon or nutmeg, it doesn't have to be just butter and brown sugar.  If you were a 3, 4, or 5 year old would you eat that? Neither would I though I do take a taste of everything each time with the children.  Now realize that I leave my house by 8 a.m.. Breakfast comes about 7:30.  I don't get out of my classroom for my lunch break until 2 or 2:30.  By then I look like the honey badger desperate for anything to satisfy my hunger.

The rules also state that we are not allowed to eat in our rooms, and we can't use the refrigerator for staff food.  I have decided that if certain (ahem most) co-workers can misuse their cell phones during the day then by all that's unholy I'm going to eat when I need to! I am declaring anarchy! Well, maybe not anarchy, I'm not going to be stupid enough to eat my food in front of the suits...

The second biggest reason is that I'm choosy about the processed foods I eat and I generally make most meals from scratch at home.  Cereals, pastas, etc I will buy. But mystery meat?  Uh no thanks.  Won't buy it and won't eat it.

Tomorrow's menu is:
Kashi and grapefruit for breakfast. I have to go in for blood work before work (For my insurance, nothing is going on.) and can't eat before I leave.


Teriyaki chicken and pepper lettuce wraps for lunch.


And finally, toasted almonds and a smoothie for an afternoon snack on my commute home.  Since it takes me 45 minutes to get home and once there I take Shamus out for his big walk, I need a pick me up before then too.


Oh, and here is how I'm smuggling my contraband in:

 Load the insulated bag with food and ice packs and stealthily walk it into my closet.  Crap I hope I don't get a TSA pat down on my way in....



7 comments:

  1. That school lunch doesn't even register as "food" in my brain! Then again, school lunches in this country are a travesty. On the other hand, your lettuce wraps look delicious!

    Good luck sneaking everything in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the sad thing is that it had potential to be a healthy lunch. Everything was overprocessed.

      Delete
  2. Oy vey! Even back when I was in school the luches looked better! But still, when I was small my Dad always packed my lunch...guess I know why!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That and back then there was no way the meals could even come close to being Kosher!

      Delete
  3. Good Luck smuggling that stuff in!! Anarchy is always good in small doses, and there should be a limit on what they do/don't allow. Cell phones should NOT be allowed (in my personal opinion) simply because it doesn't look good in front of students (no matter the age) After all they certainly don't allow students to use Cell phones in class (again no matter the age)

    Food however, well in my opinion it can't hurt for you to be allowed a snack, especially if the children are also having a snack... surely? If you had a medical condition, for example diabetes, I'm pretty sure that they would have to legally allow you to eat, in order to maintain sugar levels etc...

    Psst... stupid rules, it's always one rule for 'them' and one rule for 'us' As for that school 'lunch' and yeah, you should definitely use that word loosely with regards to that monstrosity you should a picture of (I've seen the others on Twitter too) WTH?? I'm guessing (and it's only a guess) that half the parents would feed their kids better than that at home... hell, even chicken nuggets and chips with baked beans on the side would be better than that surely?!

    OK... maybe exaggerating slightly, but still... Anyway, before I make my comment a full on blog (Sorry!) Is there no way that you could raise this issue with them? Like a meeting, even a fricking suggestion box?! (Starts randomly chuckling about the Northwestern's suggestion box - I'm pretty sure you know some people who may need to take more showers?!) OK totally digressing... Your lettuce wraps look yummy by the way!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have to say that our school lunches in the late 70s and early 80s was better than that! That food was overcooked, etc. nearly beyond recognition. In vivid contrast, your lettuce wraps look delicious. Those school food rules are stupid and ridiculous. I can't imagine going that long without a snack (I have at least one snack every day). Good luck with smuggling in your healthy contraband!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is ridiculous! I'm sorry that you have to deal with that. I am an EXTREMELY picky eater and some times flat out refuse to eat if it doesn't "look" good. And that meal did not by any meals look appetizing. If you hadn't explained what it was, I probably wouldn't have been able to figure it out(except for the greens). I hope those kids have the option of bring their lunches to school. I know I would have been every. single. day.

    Kudos to your anarchy! Keep it up! You'll definitely feel better in the long run! The meal you packed "looked" SOO much more colorful and healthier than what they were serving those poor children! Sounded pretty tastey too!

    ReplyDelete